- Bloggers do log off during the holidays, it seems —I wonder how many are “encouraged” to by family, friends, and significant others?
- It’s snowing again today: I’m so sorry I wished for a white Christmas back in 1979 or whatever—can I take it back?
- Related to #2, the MLA begins on Saturday and we fly out on Friday—I hope. I haven’t been to San Francisco in years…
- I’ve finished Christmas shopping, though of course neglected a few people who bought me gifts. Is there a word for such a faux pas?
- I’m still prepping courses for winter quarter that begins so early on January 5th: after 20 years of teaching will this be the first when I do not have a detailed weekly syllabus? I’m almost curious to try it to see what happens….
- I’ve started reading, finally, Jhumpa Lahiri’s Unaccustomed Earth: the first story is so beautiful—I felt the same emotions reading her first collection of stories.
- Christmas Eve plans: gift exchange and a wee nip of the grappa that Santa bought. Oh, and probably shoveling some snow.
- Christmas day plans: brunch with family and friends. And definitely shoveling more snow.